Thursday, January 31, 2008

A Little Bit at a Time

I did a little work on Running Stitches tonight. As I was buying the fabric for the cornerstones, the lady cutting the fabric kept commenting on how bright it was. I thinking I'm liking bright! I might have made a mistake in my math. I didn't write anything down, but I remember planning on 6 by 5 for 30 blocks needed. As I'm laying it out, that seems to be about the right size. I keep thinking I may have cut 30 each of the dark and the light. Hmmm, Maybe I'll be making twin quilts.
We had Thai Beef Strips for dinner last night. It was one of the meals I made last week at My Delicious Dinners. It was served over rice, which turned out really well, and there was A LOT of it. For some reason I decided that it would taste really good as rice pudding. I found a recipe, online but it called for a ratio of one cup of rice to one cup of sugar -- wow that didn't sound right. So I used one cup of sugar and FOUR cups of rice -- and it turned out really tasty. It reminded me of the comfort foods of childhood. I didn't grow up poor, but we knew about potato soup, bread pudding, hunter stew and goulash in our house. Those were the dishes that got us through to payday. Here's my modified recipe for rice pudding:

OLD FASHIONED RICE PUDDING

4 c. leftover rice
1 c. sugar
2 c. milk
1 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla flavoring
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Combine rice, sugar, butter, flavoring. Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour, stirring after 15 minutes and again when pudding is done. Serve warm or chilled.

1 comment:

Tracey in CT said...

Your bright quilt looks fabulous!
I've been making dinners at a similar place (Dream Dinners, here in CT) for a couple of months now...isn't it fabulous?? We've had lots of yummy stuff to eat that I would never normally make, and it is so easy to just grab something from the freezer!