Tuesday, January 29, 2008

This and That


I was blog hopping yesterday and found an idea for fabric grocery bags Quilting in Connecticut. There was even a little pocket on the front to tuck the bag into for storage. I didn't have a pattern, but it said use a plastic grocery bag as a template. So I sat down and came up with a bag from some more of the scary blue and hot pink birds of paradise fabric. It is lined with some leftover orange from the orange and teal pinwheels quilt that is hanging patiently as a flimsy in my closet. I think I have forgotten everything I know about sewing things that are not flat, and had trouble with the whole lining and turning part. Every time I make a sundress for the girls I struggle with the whole turning of the bodice with the straps step. So it's not quite orthodox, but I think I'll find some directions and make a few more.
I did that last night instead of working on Dear Jane, so I pulled out a block that I had kitted long ago (I have April 8 written in the margins of the book) and tried again to do some paper piecing. I keep thinking I'll get good at it if I keep trying, but maybe that's just wishful thinking. I think it's a tad too small, but I can figure that out later. It's called Springbook Park, it is K-8, and it has 24 pieces. The pattern only calls for 23, but one of my white bits was too short and needed some help. Can you see my extra seam?
One of the Girl Scouts from our troop came over to play today and she was wearing the flip flops we made last night at the meeting. It was like little pom poms on her feet. Can't get much cuter than that! I can imagine all 9 of us running around at Camporee with our matching pom pom feet.

1 comment:

Tracey in CT said...

You are quick! Your bag looks great.