Sunday, August 25, 2013

Butterfly Homes

My AP Bio kids are raising butterflies.  They are supposed to be accounting for all of the biomass in the  ecosystem and doing some math with it to support the idea of biomass pyramids.  So far they have had fun playing with their little caterpillars and watching them form a chrysalis.  Now that the little guys are all safely ensconced in their cocoons, we needed a bigger habitat for them to hang in.  So, here is my prototype butterfly habitat.  I think I'll try this one out and see what modifications I need to make before I go into mass production.  

5 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I remember doing this with my kids as a home project. We caught our own catapillers (they didn't have kits back then), made their homes and fed them, and then made new homes for the hatchings. They really enjoyed that project so much we did it several years.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

What a need place to live for a butterfly....grin. Tell them to have fun as well.

Angie said...

What a great school project! I don't remember doing anything that cool when I was in school!

Amy said...

Way to go teach! I am amazed at all the hand-made goodies you have made for your classroom in the past years. I've always try to incorporate it too, but outside of the Quilt Design project I (used to) do with the math 8 kiddos, I haven't come up with anything.

In my final week of summer vacation; teachers head back officially on Wednesday. Of course, I'll be putting time in today and tomorrow as well. The transition to school-mode is nearing 100%; we just need to work on the morning wakey-wakey time now :)

Happy Monday girl!!!! You are amazing.

Kate said...

Looks very cool. Drama Teen is working with butterflies in her AP biology class too. She likes that. Making an insect collection hasn't been one of her favorite things.