Monday, February 9, 2015

RSC15 Sampler February Block 2

I'm not really sure what this block is called. I was thinking of it as a Bear's Paw while I sewed it, but as I sat down to write the tutorial, I realized a bear's paw would have a background square in the corner and I used a HST triangle block instead.  I'm sure it has a name, but I'm not coming up with it right now.  Does anyone else know?
Anyway, it is a nice simple block to put together.  You will need a 4.5 inch square of pink along with 2.5 inch strips of pink and background.
Place the pink and background fabrics right sides together and use the easy angle ruler to cut 5 triangles.
Here are your pieces, ready to sew.
Sew the HST units together along the hypotenuse, press toward the pink and trim dog ears.  Arrange them around the pink square forming a top and a right edge as seen in the picture above.
 Sew two triangles to the right edge of the large pink square, press toward the square.
Finally, sew the row of three HST units to the top of the square.  Your block should be 6.5 inches unfinished.
Insert the sampler block into the center of a sawtooth star following the tutorial seen here.  

8 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Is it lady of the lake? lovely block, by the way.

Sara said...

Very cute block. I'm looking forward to pulling some pink scraps for this one.

Kathy's A Quilter said...

L.O.V.E.L.Y. done with your new demo fabrics

KatieQ said...

Great block! Thanks for the very clear explanation.

Andee said...

CUte...might be lady of the lake...

Kate said...

Definitely pretty in pink.

Magpie Sue said...

Lady of the Lake is two half square triangles surrounded by smaller HST's. I know this as Sailboat or Crown.

Magpie Sue said...

Well, now that I've looked again at the quilt I made I see that it isn't exactly the same block design. My Crowns quilt is pictured here: http://sewingmagpie.blogspot.com/2012/08/sometimes-i-surprise-myself.html

Still, it's very close!